[LRflex] Re: Difference between a boat and a ship

  • From: "William G Lamb, III" <lambroving@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Dec 2013 08:55:21 -0800 (PST)

This military stuff can get complicated..., so you were better off repeating
what the Gunny Sargent said! :-)

To further confuse the issue, the 5" 54 guns on my guided missile destroyer
were also naval rifles. Any long weapon with spiral grooves (rifling) in the
barrel is a rifle. Those were most definitely guns though. Small arms aren't
really guns as far as I'm aware. Are you sure your M16 wasn't a carbine? ;-)

If it's big and goes "bang" and you can't carry it, it might well be a gun...,
as long as it's not a mortar or howitzer. ;-)

Probably since the end of the draft, firearms terminology has gotten very
sloppy and. pretty sketchy. Always gives me shivers to hear some "expert" call
one of my pistols a "gun"..., pistol as distinct from revolver, you understand.
;-)

Back to the OT, large vessels are ships and little vessels are boats..., unless
of course, you are referring to submarines, which are always "boats" because
they started small and that's become traditional. But call it whatever you like
unless the man in front of you has dolphins on his chest. In that case an SSBN
is still a "boat" although they are larger and heavier than many ships!

William (in Central Virginia surrounded by an entire
navy!)http://www.norfolkvisitor.com/norfolknavy/

>________________________________

David said

> and on Wikipedia look extremely close to the boat I shot.

David David David
Get out the wet scourging noodle for thou hast committed a grave nautical err.
Allow me to educate the land lubber in you.  You took a snap of a SHIP not a
boat. The difference being " a boat is what you
run to when the damn starts to sink"
This info was painfully instilled into this old jar head by one if the nicest
(sic) old swab Jockeys one could meet Regards
Yxandy------