[LRflex] Re: (Darkroom) / film-developer combinations

  • From: Charlie Falke <chfalke@xxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2010 19:34:00 -0400

On 7/1/2010 7:03 PM, Aram Langhans wrote:
> I have 4 rolls of film waiting to be developed.  Can't seem to get up the
> gumption to do it.  One is 2 years old.
>
> You mentioned Rodinal.  That for years has been my favorite developer.  The
> grain is not too bad, and the sharpness is exceptional.  In latter years I
> got to mixing a bit of a ascorbate, or in my case ascorbic acid neutralized
> with a bit of baking soda, if I remember correctly, and that decreased the
> grain quite a bit.  If you can find some sodium ascorbate that is easier
> than the ascorbic acid approach, but with a bit of chemical knowledge it is
> not too bad..  Might give that a try and see how you like it.  My film of
> choice was FP4.   Maybe this summer I will get brave and soup my 4 rolls,
> then shoot a bit more for old time sake, since I still have some in the
> freezer.
>
> Aram

Hi,
    To throw my oar in, I tried D-76, HC-110, Rodinal, Edwal FG-7,
and Microdol-X, and settled on Microdol-X.  The grain is much better,
It looked plenty sharp to me, although of course, grain can make things
look
sharper.  This was with Tri-X and some Panatomic-X.
    Microdol is gone, but I've read that Ilford Perceptol is similar
and also that it is identical, take your pick. :-)

--
  Charlie Falke                                        _____      /\
  "One test result is worth                       |    |/        `o
    one thousand expert opinions" - Wernher Von Braun  0  N4003M
  "Imagination is more important than knowledge" - Albert Einstein