[LRFlex] Re: DMR vs. Canon 20D comparison shots

  • From: "Peter M.C. Werner" <pwerner@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2005 14:43:09 +0200

Neil,

> why the DMR appears to have a clipped dynamic range -
> highlights that are blown out

I wonder myself. All the flowers I shot in sunlight with Aperture
Priority show the same defect. I have not made any manual adjustments
but would think that in these conditions I should have used exposure
compensation on the DMR. I have not had the DMR long enough to really
master all details.

>the background as black vs. blue
>What *should* the scene look like, and which one
> represents it better?

The wall behind the flower was deep yellow, but in the shade.
You have to look at the RAW files to see what was captured. The DMR auto
white-balance gives a warmer rendering than the Canon (typically for
example 5500 vs. 5200 for the 20D). This can of course be easily
adjusted when converting the Raw files.

For this presentation, I tried to adjust the colors, contrast, etc. in
such a way as to make the color of the flower as similar as possible.
This is up to argument, but in this context, I was mostly concerned with
showing the differences in sharpness and noise, not in color rendition.
For color rendition of the DMR, you can see better examples in the Leica
DMR Raw page on http://www.leicaphoto.net/Download/DMR_Raw/index.html.

The DMR produces beautiful colors that I personally prefer to the 20D
rendition. The DMR colors are warmer and subtler, the Canon cooler and
more "aggressive". It is very much a matter of personal taste, but I
prefer the DMR colors (a bit like Kodachrome 25 vs. Ektachrome). It is
very difficult to show this difference objectively, since so much
depends on how you set the parameters during Raw conversion.

With the DMR, I generally got pleasing results right out of the camera
without need of much post processing. With the 20D I have to tweak
colors, contrast, brightness much more to get the results I like.

The sharpness does not differ much, the noise level at high
magnifications is very better in the DMR, but it can be noticed only at
200-300%.

To sum it up, in my view the main points in favor of the DMR are

- Better viewer, easier focusing with manual focus lenses
- Better color TFT screen, really useful for checking the results of a
shot even in bright sunlight
- open-lens TTL exposure measurement
- Better noise characteristics
- Subtler color rendition (very personal)
- Less post processing (very personal)
- Easier sensor cleaning
- Transmission of lens data to the camera and EXIM file.

Points in favor of the 20D:

- Price
- Smaller weight and size
- TTL flash. The DMR is fully manual in flash mode, no auto TTL flash
measurement

All in all, I had real pleasure with the DMR and felt immediately at
home. I have had the 20D for 6 months now, but never got conformable
with its results, much preferring the results of the much cheaper
Panaleica (Panasonic FZ20) as far as color rendition goes.

Regards,
Peter

blue