[LRFlex] Re: DMR vs. Canon 20D comparison shots

  • From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@xxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2005 16:12:08 -0700

Peter M.C. Werner showed:
Subject: [LRFlex] DMR vs. Canon 20D comparison shots

I uploaded a comparison of photos taken with the same lens, a 2.8/60mm
Macro Elmarit on the Leica DMR and the Canon 20D on:

http://www.leicaphoto.net/Download/CanonVsLeica/index.html <<<

Peter,
And what do you deduct from these tests that would make a major difference in an 8.5X11 print? Or for that matter a 13X19 print? Against a 20D and same lenses?

I suppose the Leica back looks some what better, but how often do we blow up photographs 300? Certainly if one is accustomed to "filling the frame."

I'm still not impressed until I see results from a pro shooting a paying assignment where he or she does not need anything bigger than 8.5X11 prints.

Besides for the cost of the Leica R back I can buy 3 20D's and use my same R lenses with less weight and use 3 cameras in much the same manner I would shooting film.

The Leica back looks interesting in your tests, but lets say, I didn't drop my shorts with excitement or a "Holy Cow look at the fantastic difference!"

I don't have any doubt when it's finally out shortly the back will produce excellent recorded results, but man it's one hell of a pile of money for a difference hardly seen by the naked eye unless one is doing extreme blow-ups.

Or am I completely wrong (as usual?)

ted