[LRflex] Re: DMR: first year (long)

  • From: "Chris Birchenhall" <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 14:03:54 +0100

Doug

---------------------------------------
From: Doug Herr <telyt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [LRflex] DMR: first year (long)
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2007 23:19:23 -0700

It's been one year more or less since good fortune graced me with a
DMR.

Many thanks for posting your comments on the DMR and some of the fabulous
photographs you have taken with this kit. One question: you compare the
dynamic range of the DMR to that of slide film but how does it compare with
other DSLRs and negative film?

I can note that even second hand the DMR is commanding a price of above 2000
GBP here in the UK. I am afraid I am left with the feeling that the DMR
should be left in the hands of a maestro such as yourself who can make best
use of its advantages, which I suspect are largely the pieces of glass you
can attached to it. Meanwhile being a mere amateur I am being seduced by
cameras such as the Nikon D200 and Fuji S5 on which I can mount my old M/F
Nikkors. I do aim to improve my photography and I am inspired by the fine
photographs I see on this list but there is a way to go yet as borne out
with this photo:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7180494@N02/461447519/

As to the Leica flexs I am increasingly interested in using monochrome film
and I continue to seek a solution to getting a comfortable outfit to carry
the really nice 80-200 f4 zoom. If only I could mount the Leica glass on the
Nikon bodies!! One further question to the group: do any of you recommend or
advise against the winders / drives / grips for the R6 and R8/9?

Why is life never simple?

Chris Birchenhall