[LRflex] Re: DMR firmware 1.3? 8gb sdhc?

  • From: David Young <telyt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 10:42:16 -0800

At 09/01/2007, you wrote:
>What ever happened to the promised DMR v.1.3 firmware
>upgrade?
>
>I tried an 8gb SDHC card in the DMR with v.1.2, and it
>read the same as a 4gb.  Anyone have info on use of
>8gb cards?  May that be coming in v.1.3?
>
>One other question to the group -- are all 4gb SD
>cards the HC type?  I thought so, but have been seeing
>some ndicating they are HC, and some not.
>
>Tom Schofield

Hi Tom!

Back on Nov 6th, I posted the following:

>The firmware updates for the DMR are being done by it's
>designer and builder, Imacon.  When they told Leica that V1.2 was
>ready, last spring, Leica released it unchecked, only to quickly
>discover that it made many photos orange!  It was withdrawn within 24
>hours, and the fix was made.  I only discovered v1.2 after it had be
>re-released, so I never had any problems with it.
>
>Imacon gave Leica V1.3 some weeks ago but this time Leica wisely gave
>it to a few testers, first!  I've heard from both Stephen Gandy and
>Tony Rose (who apparently know some of the testers) that it is much
>improved in WB and in several other areas.
>
>Exact timing will depend on what, if any, tweaking is needed before
>it's release and how long Imacon takes do it.  Nothing is guaranteed,
>but it is definitely on the horizon. According to Steven Lee (Leica's
>new, main man), it *should* be released before Christmas.

My understanding was that while it *should* be released before
Christmas, it could slip into the New Year (it has!) or perhaps even
a wee bit later.  As mentioned, it will all depend on how long Imacon
needs to fix any bugs discovered.

With Leica having just gone through the IR debacle, I would think
they will want to re-test, even after the software is de-bugged by
Imacon, so it could be a wee while, yet.  However, the fuss, within
Leica, dealing with the M8's problems should not cause any delay with
the DMR's update, as it's not being done by Leica.

Patience, my friend, is the word of the day.