[LRFlex] Re: DM-R decisions, was 20D Question

  • From: Jim Hemenway <jim@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2005 15:45:05 -0500

Hi folks:

Howard Cummer sent me a question regarding focus confirmation when using Nikkor manual focus lenses on the Pentax *isDS.

Before answering him, I decided to re-check my memory from when I was "playing" with the *isDS and many various lenses and cameras a week ago.

It turns out that my memory was wrong about the Nikon to Pentax adapter and focus confirmation for screw mount, (not K mount) MF Pentax lenses as follows:

Hi Howard:

I think that I've been spending too much time with TOO many disparate cameras.

My apologies... because the Nikon lens that I thought I had used on the *isDS was a Tamron with an Adaptall mount. The mount wasn't Nikon as I had thought, but is Pentax. My confusion was probably due to my use of that same Tamron lens on a Nikon with the Adaptall Nikon adapter.

I checked the camera again today with the Pentax screw mount and found that I don't get focus confirmation with the old Pentax screw mount lenses as I had thought, just with the K mount manual focus and with the AF lenses.

The Nikkor lenses will fit into the isDS mount if hand held, so I think that an adapter could be made to do the job.

Here are a few pictures taken today here in gloomy New England with a couple of Nikkor lenses hand held onto the camera. Various apertures with appropriate shutter speeds selected by the camera.

http://hemenway.com/PentaxDS-withNikonLens/

Construction adhesive would work too but then.....
or perhaps a chewing gum mount.

Leica-R lenses will not fit into the *isDS mount hand held as do the Nikkor lenses, the R lens mount is too big.

I have another adapter with an auxiliary lens built into it, which allows screw mount lenses to function on Nikon bodies. So I'm supposing that such an adapter could be built for Leica-R to Pentax. But why bother, If I can still afford it, I'll get the DM-R when it's available.

Jim

Jim Hemenway wrote:

I decided that I needed a digital now... who knows when the DM-R will really be ready?

I looked at the Canons, (so that I could use my R glass) but find the Canon viewfinders to be too dim for me.

So, I recently bought a Pentax *isDS 6mp reflex. I already had a bunch of Pentax AF lenses and can also use all of my screw mount lenses going back to the mid-60s in A and M mode... with focus confirmation

It will even take Nikkor lenses, (M mode) with an adapter that I have from Adorama.

So far it's a pretty good camera, and used Pentax F and FA lenses are going through the roof... I anticipate that the same thing will happen when the DM-R arrives.

Slobodan, I've seen a notice that a Rollei 3.9 x 3.9 cm back is available and can be used untethered. But that's like using a Baby Rollei, not a 6008 so I think I'll wait on something like that for awhile longer.

Jim

   www.horizon.bc.ca/~dnr/lrflex.htm