[LRflex] Re: DMR Noise Quandary

  • From: David Young <telyt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2006 09:20:42 -0800

Bill Abbott wrote:

>Hi-
>
>I've been following the DMR posts closely because I bought one a month ago
>and am learning to use it. My experience with ISO 1600 is different from
>that shown in David Young's portrait, not better, just different.
>
>Here is an early effort with the DMR shot out my kitchen window (wildlife is
>where you find it) made with an R9, DMR, Vario-Elmar 80-200 f/4, hand held,
>1/90 sec at f4, WB Cloudy, aperture priority mode.
>
>It is an 8X10 Photoshop jpeg crop of the DNG pix, otherwise un-edited. It is
>not one of the best frames I've ever made and I don't show it to you for any
>purpose other than to demonstrate my experience at ISO 1600; I know it is
>not particularly well focused and the colors seem way "off" to me, but the
>reason I show it is that I don't see the "noise" effect.  See it at:
>
>http://gallery.leica-users.org/album372/L1030158_orig_crppd
>
>I am curious about the difference and why it may be different from David's
>experience.
>
>BTW, I am a 75 year old retired naval person. I began photography as a hobby
>by helping my dad, who was a newspaper reporter and photographer, with his
>Speed Graphic and a Graphlex wooden tripod, which I still use, in the 1930s.
>I graduated to my own Kodak Vigilant and home darkroom about 1945, bought a
>Rollei TLR in 1953, inherited two M4s in 1973, changed to an R4 in 1986, an
>R7 in 1991, an R9 last year, and added a DMR in January. I have way, way too
>many negatives, slides, and prints, which I am trying to sort and ID while I
>still can do so. Next week I take the DMR to London for a week; wish me
>luck.
>
>Cheers,
>
>Bill Abbott

Good Mornin' Bill!

.jpg) format at full size (that's 3872x2576, not the 800x640 that you've
used for this shot).  If you are using Photoshop, you might want to try
"auto levels", to correct the slight overexposure.  Then look at the TIF
file, with a viewer capable of displaying the pixels one for one...
"Actual Pixels" in PS.

You have reduced the size so much, that the noise (and much detail) is
lost in the  resizing. Conversion to JPG format further softens the
noise further, during compression. This is why you don't see the
problems. Proceed as above and you'll see the noise in ISO 1600 shots...
with ease.

Experiment with ISO 400 and 2 stops under exposure via the exposure
compensation lever on your R9.  Then increase exposure correspondingly
during development (conversion) from RAW to the .TIF or .JPG formats.

I'm not familiar with how a lot of raw converters work, so I don't know
how easy this is to do with whatever you're using.  But Peter Werner  -
the originator of the above "fiddle" - put me on to Silkypix, which he
claims is the best of the RAW converters, at least for the DMR. I used
it with both the Canon 20D and DM-R with great success.  And, making the
exposure compensation in Silkypix is dead simple.   You can buy it for
16000 Yen, and get all the features (something I will do in the next few
days) but it's a free download and works in "free mode", with the basic
feature set, forever - not a trial period.

Download it at: http://www.isl.co.jp/SILKYPIX/english/

I recommend it highly.

Have fun, in London!

And when you're back, please, please describe your experience with the
DM-R!  And, perhaps even post some shots! :-)

Cheers!

--
David Young,
Logan Lake, BC