[LRflex] Re: DMR History?,

  • From: Juan Gea-Banacloche <banacloj@xxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2007 19:45:47 -0500

I think David's points are well taken. When an expensive product one
owns goes out of production, there is bound to be some trepidation.
In this case, however, the demise of the DMR is inconsequential as
long as Leica remains committed to the R line.

They will support (are not they bound by law to do so?) the DMR for a
number of years-- in the world of digital, many more years than the
current happy owners of DMRs will be using them. No matter how much
of a great picture-taking machine it is, it is a safe bet that almost
all of today's DMR users would have been using something else 5 years
from now anyway. THAT is the nature of the digital beast (it was not
at all the same with film cameras).

As resale value is concerned, it is another safe bet it will keep it
much better than any other digital product. You cannot find a Contax
N digital for less than US 3000, while the Canon 1D is 1400 at KEH...

Juan