[LRflex] Re: DMR EV problem

  • From: William Abbott <wbabbott3@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 14:24:45 -0800

Aram, David,

Thanks. The camera and DMR are well under warranty so that is not a problem. Sorry, no other R9 was near enough to try the DMR on for fault isolation purposes.

When I described the three anomalies I was experiencing, the person with whom I spoke at Leica New Jersey did not hesitate and said, "Send it in." I sent it by FedEx this morning, its second visit to New Jersey, the first time for Settings Wheel replacement when it was very new.

All the anomalies are annoying but the one that broke the camel's back was this one, which was getting worse and worse, i.e., more frequent, and now may be a hard failure.

With the camera turned off, inserting a fresh battery lit up the window with the Leica logo, briefly, and turned on the LCD display. Several of the functions in the LCD display were operable, such as WB, as was the Menu function in the upper window, all of this, mind you, with the camera turned off. Something was definitely wrong. Turning the camera on sometimes actually turned it on, other times it did not.

I very quickly decided that it was beyond my ability to cope.

I'll keep you posted.

All the best,

Bill

On Dec 12, 2007, at 11:15 AM, David Young wrote:

Bill wrote:
Jonathan,

Thank you; that is encouraging. See my previous post for the
denouement of the story.

I hope my problem turns out to be as simple as yours and not as bad
as David Young's was. We'll see; wish me luck!

The original problem, which started all my travails, was the meter cell, which failed exactly as Jonathan's has.

If under warranty, no problem, other than most likely no camera over Christmas. If out of warranty, I understand that the repair runs between $300 & $400.

Good Luck!

David.