[LRflex] Re: DMR Casualty Report

  • From: David Young <telyt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 13:27:33 -0700

Bill Abbott bemoaned:

>Dear friends,
>
>I found the Setting Button and Wheel of my DMR missing the morning of
>May 29; the two parts were later found in my camera bag.

Sorry, Bill, to hear you've had the problem... but you are not the
first.  I've been lucky, so far, though mine is just about 4 months old, too.

I agree, the setting dial/button does not feel as robust as other
parts of the DMR, nor as robust as parts on the other popular
digitals from Japan.

My understanding is that you have to be gentle with it, and not hit
it on the side.  This may be what happened when the camera was put in
the bag.   Hard to tell.

I've also heard that those who have had theirs repaired say that it
'feels better" than before.  The rumour is that Leica have found a
better way to fasten it all in.  It would be nice, if it were
true.  Even if it is... don't expect a recall.  That''s not Leica's
style.  I suspect it will be more like the early R8's static problem
and motor/winder/DMR incompatibility.  As R8's were returned for
repair, for any reason, they were given a full upgrade.  But those
that did not exhibit any problems were left as they were.

There, I was lucky too, for my R8 suffered a fall when just two days
old.  Although the Canadian distributor of the day took forever to
complete it, he did do a good job, and the camera was fine with [a]
the winder and later [b] the DMR.

One thought... It has been reported on various forums that items sent
directly to Leica USA are returned faster than those sent in via
dealers.  I don't know why, but you might want to consider this.

Good luck! Keep us posted, will you?

Personal Web-site at: http://www3.telus.net/~telyt
Limited Edition Prints at: http://www3.telus.net/~telyt/prints.htm
Leica Reflex Forum web-page:  http://www3.telus.net/~telyt/lrflex.htm