[LRflex] DM-R Adventure

  • From: Alan Siegle <alansiegle@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 09:31:30 -0700 (PDT)

I just returned from my first photo trip using my new R9 & DM-R. I thought I
would take it to the lowest point and highest point in the Lower 48 (as
Alaskans refer to us down here). I spent four days in Death Valley (93 degrees
F and 20% RH), Bad Water -282 feet below sea level, and the Alabama Hills (not
actually the highest point) where I'm looking at Mount Whitney.

  I took pictures at sunrise, sunset, moonrise, and by the full moon light. I
visited the Racetrack in Death Valley, where rocks move and leave trails when
nobody is looking. The camera performed very well for four days and nights, but
on the fifth day it stopped working after 5 or 6 sunrise shots. The camera was
mounted on a tripod and after 5 or 6 shots nothing happened when I pushed the
shutter button, except I noticed the EV reading on the back would show EV 0.0
after I pushed the shutter button. I had plenty of battery power left, but I
tried the following steps to get it working again.

I turned it off and on several times,I recharged the battery, and replaced the
SD card with another, nothing I did made any difference.

  Yesterday I called the Leica Dealer where I bought the camera, they are very
helpful and have more horsepower with Leica than I do. Leica told them to have
me remove the digital back and power unit, clean the contacts, put the film
back on and advance the film lever (reset the system). Some of this seamed
unnecessary to me, so I did the following: I removed the power unit, opened the
digital back, advanced the film lever and rotated the take-up reel until it
stopped. Cleaned the film chamber and sensor with air from a blower (no brush)
and put everything back together. I reinstalled the battery, put an SD in the
slot and turned it on. Its working again.

  My Leica Dealer called me at home last night (7 p.m. my time 10 p.m. his
time) to see if this did work or if we need to take additional actions. This is
great service from a concerned dealer. As I told Tony, from Leica's response,
this is not the first time Leica has heard of this problem. My concern is will
it happen again, and if so, how often.

  Have any other DMR users experienced this same situation?

  The images I got from the system look great, I want to compare them to my
Canon 1D Mark II images to see the differences. I only took the same pictures
once with both cameras, it was the day the Leica stopped working (maybe in
protest ;>)). It was sunrise and I had both cameras setup on tripods, looking
at Mount Whitney.

  So this is my story, sad but true.

  Alan

alansiegle@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

View my photographs by visiting my Homepage at-
http://homepage.mac.com/alansiegle