[LRflex] Re: D30 Leicanon NOW--- EASY FOCUS

  • From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@xxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2005 09:10:35 -0800

Noel Yates asked:
> How do you focus the D30 with R lenses? I have the same kit but have
> great difficulty focusing my 28mm Elmarit-R.<<

Hi Noel,
Quite simple actually. :-)

Do it this way and it works very quickly and easily, I've done it for years
from everything wide I have in the R camera glass. I've explained this
before and many others find it works, so give it a try. Might take a few
times to get the visual feel. Important part!.... If you find you missed the
sharp point? Crank the lens right back to the closest point and start over.

Best bet before you need this method just walk around the house and try it
out on all kinds of things. Then when it's serious picture taking you know
exactly what it looks like and make it work.

As you're moving the camera to your eye and your left hand on the lens, turn
the lens focus ring right to the nearest focus point, don't think about it,
just do it! Then when you put the camera to your eye everything will be
nothing but a blur.

Now from that point start to focus on your subject, in other words from as
far out of focus to things gradually popping into focus. Then as you reach
your subject it's much easier to see the sharpness doing it in this manner
than starting at infinity and moving to a closer point.

It works because when you start from infinity to a closer point you are
working from a point where everything is in focus and then you begin looking
for a sharp area coming from a sharp area. It's merely reversing the
action.... completely out, to completely in.

I've done this more times than I can count or remember and it works so
easily with any SLR film or digital when working manual focus lenses.

ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited
1817 Feltham Road
Victoria BC  V8N 2A4