[LRflex] Critical Comment sought on an Exhibition Entry

  • From: Richard Ward <ilovaussiesheps@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: LeicaReflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2010 10:20:45 -0800 (PST)

Hello Group,
   I'm working on a project to submit to a juried charity art exhibit & auction
called 'Shining Through'. I can submit most anything I'd like and be
accepted/or not by the jury, but I have a specific image I think exemplifies
'Shining Through', but I'm getting nervous about the choice.
The link is :"http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4044/4386659172_9f3037560f_o.jpg";.

Warning! I linked to the full res scan file - my browser scales it wonderfully
well. Let me know if it screws people up.

Image info: Kodak Hi-Speed Infrared 135 shot using an EOS-620 with a 22-55usm
zoom through a very deep red filter probably at 22mm (Film does lack that nifty
exif feature.). The scan was done by ALLIED Photo for me.

I really like the image in it's entirety and think it's a fine visual
expression as is, but I'm wondering if the areas where the light is shining
through the leaves would be strengthened with a crop AND would gains in that
area be offset losing what's happening down around the base of the tree?

Note: They are having a supplemental competition for artworks which exemplify
the saying "Shining Through... The Seasons". I'm putting together something
which would be a triptik of images of this lighthouse in different seasons. My
thoughts are along the lines of laying out the three images against a white
background in photoshop possibly with a title below in the white space.
I'll post a 'sketch'/rough draft to flickr when I get a chance.

I think a Lighthouse portrayed in spring, fall, & winter pretty much
exemplifies "Shining through the seasons".

Richard in Michigan

Leica R Lenses.
They R worth it -
They R what I Use -