[LRFlex] Re: Continued Filter Puzzlement

  • From: Kent Christensen <lkchris@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leica_reflex_forum <LeicaReflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 12:13:44 -0600

re:  what size in mm is Series VIII? (Nick)

This is a question that's unanswerable.

Series filters do not have threads and therefore there is no fixed relationship.

From my copy of the 1-July-1977 General Catalog, I can report the following
relationships:

F4/21 11813 requires series 8.5 filter and has m72 internal thread
F2.8/24 11221 requires series 8 filters and has m60 internal thread
F2.8/28 11204 requires series 7 filters and has m48 internal thread
F2/35 11227 requires series 7 filters and has m48 internal thread
F2.8/35 11201 requires series 7 filters and has m48 internal thread
F2/50 11228 requires series 6 filters and has m44 internal thread
F1.4/50 11875 requires series 7 filters and has m48 internal thread
F2.8/60 11203 requires series 8 filters and has m60 internal thread
F2/90 11219 requires series 7 filters and has m54 internal thread
F2.8/90 11239 requires series 7 filters and has m54 internal thread
F2.8/135 11211 requires series 7 filters and has m54 internal thread
F2.8/180 11919 requires series 8 filters and has m72 internal thread
F3.4/180 11240 requires series 7.5 filter and has m59 internal thread
F4/250 11920 requires series 8 filter and has m72 internal thread

From this abbreviated list you can view lenses with 72mm threads requiring two
different filter sizes.

From this list you can view lenses requiring series 8 filters having two
different thread sizes

From this list you can view lenses requiring series 7 filters having two
different thread sizes

Clearly ultra wide angle and telephoto lenses require larger barrel sizes for
different reasons  and some telephoto lenses may get by with smaller filters
due to their narrower angle of view despite the fact their barrel size
requirement is larger in order to gather light.  BTW, there was never a 48mm
version of the 135.

For the lenses in the list, the only accessories Leica made that actually utilize the
internal threads are the Elpro close-up lenses and the polarizing filters.  These were
only ever made in the 44mm and 54mm sizes.  It seems rather coincidental and frankly
misleading to me that the Elpro names were associated with "series" numbers
(VIb, etc.)  Clearly, for example, a VIIa or VIIb Elpro doesn't fit a 50/1.4.  A series
size was *not* engraved on the threaded polarizers.  I believe none of the (removable)
lens shades mount via the threads.

Note:  I can use the same series 7 filters on my 28, my 50, and my 135, except
for polarizers.

If you insist on threaded filters, you'll need two different and probably three
step-up rings to accomplish the same thing, although you could then get by with
a single polarizer.  I can't advise whether Leica clip-on lens shades will
still fit with the step-up ring(s) and especially with a 55mm polarizer
installed and whether the 55mm polarizer will clear the 135's built in shade.

Kent Christensen
Albuquerque