[LRFlex] Re: Confess my ignorance, what is chromogenic B&W?

  • From: "Bille Xavier F." <hot_billexf@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 18:58:08 +0000

Steven

Your question is rather interesting, in fact, I spent a few hours at the shop, chit chatting.

THe chromogeninc is a very old idea that came on the market some 20 years ago. At that time there was the Agfa XXXX and the Ilford XP1. It was out of fashion for a while until the XP2 made a come back (1992?)

Now, after years of Ilford XP2, the product has been discontinued. It was a film with a lot of resolution power but the film support was weak, easily scratched and the film had a red tone that made it a real headache to print under the enlarger (I speak of experience).

Today, the T400CN has been put on the market and I've seen a sample of a new product T400CN DW. The latest is aimed to the minilab. My friend and photog tested the sample and the results are very warm, a bit unreal.

Chromogenic? The technology is roughly to put the B&W in layers of Red Green Blue colors that would react to a given wavelength so the whole gives a grey tone. I'm sure Kodak Site has a better explanation in chemistry.

The results for us user is that it's a C41 process film, like a Kodakolor Gold 100. Cheap and probably quick. When printed on color paper, if the machine is claibrated properly, it exhibits a Sepia Tone very pleasant. When machine are not properly claibrated, it gives a colored sepia tone...

Today, I went to get one of the film T400CN left for dev. As it was not there, the friend called FujiLab to trace that job. And we learned that these are processed separately from the usual C41. Why? Probably because it requires a calibrated machine. In my case, I requested a DEV only but it went in the special tray....

Steve Barbour has recently presented some very well scanned photos of Paris with the T400CN. In fact, the T400CN can go through the Nikon ICE (anti dust anti scratches)) while a traditionnal B&W film cannot.

Just my 0.02 Camembert on the subject.
---------------------------------
Xavier F. BILLE
Maisons-Alfort - France.

From: "Steven Rosenthal" <steverose108@xxxxxxx>
To: <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [LRFlex] Confess my ignorance, what is chromogenic B&W?
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 08:07:53 -0700

What is chromogenic B&W, is that the Tmax that is 'B&W' but uses standard
color lab processing ? or something else?
Steven

    www.horizon.bc.ca/~dnr/lrflex.htm