[LRflex] Re: Color renditions between M8 and DMR

  • From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@xxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 13:19:30 -0800

Aram Langhans offered reaction to::
Subject: [LRflex] Color renditions between M8 and DMR

> WOW, David.  That is a huge difference in color rendition.  Like fresh vs
> out-dated slide film?  Is that as much as is seen between say Nikon and
> Canon or Pentax?  And, in your opinion, since you took the shots, which is
> more realistic?  My guess would be the DMR. but I was not there.

>>From: David Young <telyt@xxxxxxxxx>
>>No matter what the reasons, there is a certainly a difference
>>between  Imacon's view and Leica's view of the world!  See:
>>
>>http://www3.telus.net/~telyt/M8_DMR_Comp.htm<<<<

Actually given the grass conditions and time of year and if these images
weren't side by each I find both of them more than acceptable colour
photographs.

I'm aware of the "red sensitivity" of the M8 and in some conditions we've
seen a marked off colour problem. However, I see both of these as acceptable
without question particularly when Mother Nature can turn these grass and
wet lands slightly different hues and colours over night given correct
weather conditions.

Put the DMR photo in one room and M8 image in another and I find it hard to
believe anyone would have a problem with either. Sometimes it's quite unfair
to the equipment and manufacturer to illustrate a situation in this fashion,
actually when the M8 version is quite fall like in colours. As is the DMR!

It's an excellent example of a slight difference, but certainly not a major
WOW factor in this kind of scene. A brides white dress and it would be a
major disaster,no question! But in others as we see here it's no big deal.
Actually no different than adding a slight warming filter for enhancement.

However, I'd much rather not have any thoughts about IR or whatever colour
might be recorded without my wishing to create myself.

These are interesting, however in an enhancing sort of fashion.

ted