[LRflex] Re: Color Calibrator Preferences?

  • From: David Young <dsy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2012 08:22:49 -0800

> Hi Niel,
> Thank You for your input. Exactly the type of opinion I was looking
> for. Do you have an opinion how well x-rite supports their legacy
> equipment - ie: driver updates and such to maintain OS
> compatibility over time?

Hi Richard!

If I may "chime in"...

I've used the X-Rite "MonacoOPTIX XR" since 2004, and it has been absolutely
excellent.

I don't print my own images, I use a lab.  But, with the XR's calibrated
screen, what I see is what
I get.  I like it!

However, and this is a big however, Xrite have a lousy record for updating
drivers.  I moved from XP
to Win7 and they'd rather tell you that your unit is outdated and to buy
another.

That being said, the DTP-94 Colorimeter that came with it is considered one of
the very best
consumer units available.

So, I tried the "Colour Eyes Display Pro" software (free trial).  It work very
well with the DTP-94,
but is very expensive.   I am about to try the Open Source HCFR software that
is said to run the
DTP-94 very well.   When I've run it through it's paces,  I will report
further.  But, that may be a
day or three.

Hope this helps.

David.