[LRflex] Re: Color Calibrator Preferences?

  • From: "Neil Gould" <neil@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2012 10:12:04 -0500

Hi Richard,

> From: Richard Ward <ilovaussiesheps@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2012 13:12:03 -0500
>
> Hello Group,
> Does anyone have any input about choosing between an X-Rite or a
> Datacolor color calibrator? Mostly interested in brand type
> experiencing regarding the two options. I've had a small windfall and
> am shopping for a calibrator currently.
>
> Further: Should I get one with print calibration options? I do
> essentially no home printing of images so am currently thinking I
> will choose from middle of two brands lineup and skip print
> calibration, unless someone has some contrarian info.
>
> Richard in Michigan

Ordinarily, I'd stay away from this kind of question because it is too
tempting for me to climb on the soapbox and rail against monitor spyders in
general. However, since you asked your question based on brand experiences
and included what I would consider a "reasonable" usage (print
calibration)...   ;-)

I have used X-Rite printer calibrators for decades, and appreciate their
quality and reliability, but more importantly, their drivers. As an aside,
some clients of mine use X-Rite calibrators in their business (printing,
dentistry, etc.) with good results. So, I'd have no hesitation in
recommending the brand based on their wide-ranging work in the field of
color calibration.

Although you wrote that you do little or no home printing of images, if your
printer allows for custom calibration profiles, upgrading to a version with
print calibration is a good expenditure, IMO. You may find it useful at some
point.

Best regards,

Neil