[LRFlex] Re: Cape Ann

  • From: Andy Wagner <yxandy2001@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 19:06:11 -0800 (PST)

Scott
You say that Canon's have focus confirm for non canon glass. Where and how? I
want to try my glass on my wife's rebel

Hmmm . . . didn't realize the Pentax dSLRs could use K and SM lenses.  Very
nice though I suspect there are a few limitations, e.g. stop-down only use.  At
least they work!  My FD stuff was all orphaned!

I quite agree that the Canon finders are 'dim' and would add small to the
description as well.  Do you find you can focus your Pentax manually?  Can the
screen be interchanged for one with focusing aids?  Or can it be pulled so it
can be sent to Bill Maxwell for HiLux treatment?

BTW, the Canon dSLRs I've used *do* allow focus confirmation when using
non-Canon glass.

Interesting that you get better results with Adobe RGB the sRGB.  Most of the
output devices I've used do best with the more limited gamut of sRGB.  How do
you profile for the Adobe RGB?

Of course it's unfortunate that Leica R lenses won't work with the Pentax dSLR
bodies. ;o)

Thanks!/ScottGee1

Jim Hemenway <jim@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Doug:

Thanks.

The isDS does seem to be well built but lightweight and I like it quite
a bit. I've been shooting with it in tandem with the R8.

I already had several AF Pentax lenses as well as even more that are
screw mount, that and the bright viewfinder and absence of the DMR so
far, was the impetus for buying the Pentax.

The Canon viewfinders are dimmer. I found them difficult, (for me) to
focus manually. Especially with no focus confirmation when using
non-Canon glass.

BTW, since my last post I found that there IS focus confirmation on the
isDS for screw mount as well as K mount lenses. I had not read enough
of the manual to know that that feature needs to be selected in the "menu".

I'm now shooting the Pentax in RAW and find that I get almost as much
latitude as I do with color negative film... definitely more than I get
with slide film or when shooting as JPEG with the digital.

If you get one, you might consider setting the color space to Adobe RGB
instead of the sRGB default. Set the color to Natural instead of the
Bright default, and shoot RAW.

A RAW converter program comes with the camera, or you can use the RAW
plugin within Photoshop CS. I haven't upgraded to CS yet, so I RAW
convert to TIFF in Pentax LAB, and then optimize in Photoshop 7.

Jim

David Young wrote:

> At 3/21/2005, you wrote:
>
>> North of Boston
>>
>> http://www.hemenway.com/CapeAnn/
>>
>> isDS with various lenses
>

> Hi Jim!
>
> Nice job you're doing with that digital Pentax! Nice shots, all!
>
> I've only take a quick peek at one in the store... but it seems very
> small, but well built. It might be a good choi ce for Rose, as she has
> several Pentax lenses already. For myself, it's a LeiCanon, as I cannot
> bring myself to part with the Leica glass.
>
> Do I remember your saying that the finder was brighter than the 20D?
> Any other preferences over the 20D or other Canon Digi-cameras?
>
> Thanks. I value your comments.
>
> Cheers!

www.horizon.bc.ca/~dnr/lrflex.htm

Regards