[LRflex] Re: Canon FL lens

  • From: "Bill Grimwood" <bill@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2010 13:06:19 -0600

Thanks

Bill

-----Original Message-----
From: leicareflex-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:leicareflex-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Richard Ward
Sent: Thursday, December 30, 2010 10:55 AM
To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [LRflex] Re: Canon FL lens

Hi Bill,
   I 'suspect' that you would need to have your lens' Mount Surgically
Modified
to match the EOS lens to flange distance. A thread I started like two years
ago
on Canon POTN includes posts by someone who did just that to a couple of FL
Telephoto's with very nice results. There is also the 'possibility' that a
glassless mount adapter plate could do the trick for you, but that is only
*IF*
your 800mm lens focuses Past Infinity enough (while on an FL mount camera)
compensate for the differing Lens Flange to Film Plane distances.
   The whole crux of the problem when attempting to use 'legacy' Canon Glass
on
the 'Newer' Canon EOS Cameras are those differing lens mount flange
distances.
The adapters which were available for awhile for legacy lenses attempted to
compensate for the difference using optical elements a'la like in
Tele-Converters. Unfortunately with all the downsides of Tele-converters,
too -
the OEM ones were supposedly decent, but the aftermarket stuff was el-cheapo

junk. ie: print small enough and they looked g-r-e-a-t!, but they actually
were
anything but great.
   I highly suggest doing some research on the matter, if you've got a nice
800mm lens gathering dust - what have you got to lose really?

Richard in Michigan

The link to the thread I started
is:http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=644277

[---Insert Irony Here---]