[LRFlex] Re: Canon Exposure Problems with Third Party Lenses

  • From: Slobodan Dimitrov <s.dimitrov@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2005 07:24:40 -0700

I use the 20D in program mode for third party lenses. It keeps things simple.

Slobodan Dimitrov
Studio G-8, AGCC
http://sdimitrovphoto.com

On Aug 1, 2005, at 6:44 AM, Dave Saalsaa wrote:

I would like to weigh in with a couple of comments regarding the 20D and Leica lenses. Firstly, in practice, I have had very few problems getting proper exposures with this combo. A quick check of the LCD to see if I am in the "ballpark" and I make adjustments if needed. Secondly, most of my shots are either wide open or stopped down 1 to 2 stops with my Leica lenses. The same way I shot my Leica cameras. The advantage of the DSLR is I can switch ISOs in mid stream to allow this which I cannot do with film. Is the system perfect? Heck no but I am getting great results with it and I have very few complaints. Like all cameras, you learn to adjust your working style to overcome obstacles. That's why God gave us a brain. :-)

Dave
----- Original Message ----- From: "Bob Palmieri" <rpalmier@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2005 21:10:28 -0700
From: "David Young" <telyt@xxxxxxxxx>
To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [LRFlex] Re: Back to the sleepless head-scratching mode

Hi Art!

I did as you suggest, when I duplicated Bob's test, earlier today. When
the exposure was correct, I got grey for the white.. indicating the metering
was right on. However, as I stopped down, metering at each step... er stop..
the images got consistently darker. As the shutter speed changed with the
different stops, the end photos should all have been the same shade of grey...
but that didn't happen.

More curious is that, to me, this would indicate under exposure, yet Bob
is complaining of over exposure.

What I do know, is that in non-test conditions, I've never had a problem
with the Canon's metering... but then I mostly use it at f4 through f8 -
nothing smaller.

Cheers!

David.

-------------------------------------
On 31/07/2005 at 10:22 PM NATSTEK@xxxxxxx wrote:
Guy's,

I started out with my R7 doing the same thing when I used a bellows II &
viso heads with the 14167 adapter.

Make sure that you're in aperture priority AE and focus wide open, then

stop

down to the taking aperture and look at the display in the finder just to
make sure that all is OK. you still must realize that the meters still consider
everything as 18% gray, so you may have to dial in some exposure compensation.

Art Tafil
natstek@xxxxxxx

David Young,
Logan Lake, BC