[LRflex] Re: Canon 5D and mirror trimming.

  • From: M7 <photo-m7@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 27 May 2006 09:05:10 -0700

If the mirror hits the back of the lens, it's a non-fatal error. You
recover by taking off the lens and the mirror flips back in place.

Q:  Why not buy another mirror and install it?  A:  Because I saved
some $$$$ and time by doing it myself. The 5D is the model I decided to
stick with for an indefinite amount of time. Therefore I don't care
about its resale value with the modified mirror. When the time comes to
send it to a new owner, I'll have a camera tech or Canon replace the
mirror. That day may never come.

Q:  Why didn't I send it to someone else to do the work?  A:  I'm
competent enough to do a minor DIY job.

Q:  Why didn't I remove the mirror before cutting it?  A:  Couldn't
figure out how to take off the mirror or the mirror box.

John