[LRflex] Re: CL lenses

  • From: Gary E <ge_crocus@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Leica Reflex <LeicaReflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 May 2010 01:47:23 -0700 (PDT)

I see this question will be asked till the end of time; or until Leica admits
it.  The CLE Rokkor lenses indeed have the standard cam surface and will work
like any other Leica M lens.  Though the CL lenses have a sloped cam surface it
will work on other Leica bodies.

I have and am still using the 40mm Summicron-C and 90mm Elmar-C lenses.  I have
used them on the following bodies with no focus issues: M3, M2, M4, M4-2 [also
on my friend's M6, M7 and MP].

As a note of quality before you get to shoot with them, the 40mm is like
between a 35 Summicron III & IV (smooth bokeh).  The only issue is try not to
destroy the hood and lose the filter if you have one because they are not easy
to find and no other Leica hood or filter will fit.  They really did a number
on this CL.  The 90mm is sharp and light (close to a Tele-Elmarit).  The hood
and filter issue also comes with this lens.

The 40mm is now used as a body cap; never left home without it.  This and the
90mm is a great traveling companion as they are a light combo.  One last thing
I should mention about the CL is that the meter arm swings down to meter, so
you cannot use some collapsable or deeply recessed wide angles with it.  Second
last thing, it uses the old mercury battery which can be a pain to source out
if you're in the US.

-Gary E

Date: Tue, 4 May 2010 19:18:21 -0400
Subject: [LRflex] Re: M Rokkors and CL lenses on M2 M4-P M4-2 M6 M-5 M3 DS M3
From: a aa <classwp@xxxxxxxxx>

Those are CLE lenses, the CL lenses were different.