[LRflex] Bridges better than Reflexes? I don't think so

  • From: Douglas Sharp <douglas.sharp@xxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2005 11:46:01 +0100

Xavier,
I must answer your question with a clear NO - however you can get damned
close if you do a little post processing.
I hope you don't mind, I've posted your image and my correction at:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/New-Old-Pictures/PB130001b  your original
http://gallery.leica-users.org/New-Old-Pictures/PB130001b_edited_2

Nice old camera, some time ago you mentioned DxO as a processing option,
the alternative is PTlens (freeware)
I ran your image through PTlens to correct the chromatic aberration (the
bright blue edges on the adjustment ring, particularly strong above the
500 shutter speed) and subsequently ran the whole thing through Neat
Image to reduce noise and sharpen in the luminance (y) channel (to avoid
bright edging).
The improvement of the image is very obvious, considerably reduced
fringing and the meatl parts look more "metallic" after Neat Image, and
the whole job only took about 3 minutes.
If you would like to try it -
1) download and install PTlens - in PS or PS Elements or whichever other
Image Processing you use.
2) Check chromatic aberration (click in the box, make sure fish-eye,
vignetting and distortion are unchecked)
BTW, If your camera lens combination is listed you can set the camera
and focal length and use distortion correction too
4) Zoom into a part of the image where fringing is obvious
5) Set slider Blue-Yellow to between +0.0042 and + 0.0047 (I used +0.0044)
Click OK and your image is already improved.
For noise reduction and sharpening:
Neat Image:
You can download a free stand-alone version (not a plug-in) which works
very well -in fact it works so well I decided to buy the Neat Image Pro
version, which also runs as a plug-in.
Now the problems start - there are so many sliders and options that you
need to practice for a couple of weeks before you find out exactly what
they do, and how they affect your image. The effects can be quite
spectacular when you get the settings right!