[LRflex] Re: Breathing easier, now.

  • From: Gary E <ge_crocus@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Leica Reflex <LeicaReflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Feb 2009 19:19:00 -0800 (PST)

Charlie,

The DAT tapes weren't all that great even for music; used way back when.  I've
found that the minimum would be the old Exabyte 8mm which were larger than the
4mm DAT tapes.  Small departments would use it as a low cost alternative. DLT
type tapes can hold up to 35GB native and 70GB compressed.  The newer LTO types
can hold much more.  Sony AIT type tapes hold even more as well.

The problem is even a single tape unit/standalone can cost around 1500-3500
(depending on format and type) which really isn't suitable for a home photo
user.  The only plus is that they can archive for up to 30 years (in some
tests).  If I were a professional (such as a wedding photographer) I would
definitely use one of the industry standards (AIT/LTO) to keep not only my
business information (customer database and financials) but my photos as well.
It's just good business sense and costs less than lawsuits ;)

Gary E