[LRflex] Re: Breaking rumor - Sigma

  • From: "Neil Gould" <neil@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 28 May 2011 06:48:05 -0400

Hi Richard,

> From: Richard Ward <ilovaussiesheps@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> Date: Fri, 27 May 2011 14:32:52 -0400
>
> Hear Hear Doug.
>
> Lenses are King.
>
> Not to argue that Sensors are at all an Unimportant Variable, but I
> do think Sensors have crossed into a place where The Lens being used
> is more determinative than The Sensor in use behind it.
>
> The PhotoSites have become So Small that, imo, the Lens and the
> Technique of the Photographer are the primary determinants of whether
> the Potential of a Sensor is Delivered.
>
> R in Mi.

Well, sensor sites are still considerably larger than, say Kodachrome 25 or
Panatomic X grain, and since lens technology has come a long way since the
demise of those films and the trend is toward producing smaller sensor
formats, I suspect that there is still some way to go before lenses become
the limiting factor of final image quality based solely on the lens'
resolving power. I'd even argue that digital imaging has reduced the
expectations of viewers in that regard, because every time I place prints
from my Nikon and Canon digitals next to those from my R5 or OM cameras, the
latter images win, hands down, in terms of resolution. Blasphemy, I know!
;-)

--
best regards,

Neil