[LRflex] Boogie-Woogie Man

  • From: David Young <dsy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: LeicaReflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 22 Aug 2009 20:32:19 -0700

Fellow Flexers:

We spent last weekend at the "Roots & Blues Festival", in Salmon Arm, BC. We go every year and stage a great family reunion. The kids play on the Water Slides, and we all listen to 3 great days of music.

This year, the hit of the show (at least, for me) was a piano playing Englishman, who can pound out rock and roll and boogie-woogie like no-one I've ever seen or heard. Ben Waters is his name and he did a workshop with Jazz Harmonica great, Sherman "Tank" Doucette that had an energy that was both unbelievable and infectious.

Completely self-taught (he doesn't read a stitch of music), his fingers just fly over a keyboard.

Ben's not much of a singer, but he played his version of Chuck Berry's "Johnny B. Goode", as it would be played by an East German, on a Balalaika.

Here is "Tank" Doucette, just listening to Ben, because he had absolutely no idea what to do with the tune...

http://www.furnfeather.net/Temps/Tank.htm

while Ben displays his rather unorthodox playing style...

http://www.furnfeather.net/Temps/Boogie.htm

C&C welcomed, as always.

---
David Young