[LRflex] Re: Blue Grouse

  • From: Douglas Herr <telyt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2005 08:13:24 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

Bob Palmieri <rpalmier@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Graceful and well-defined; transcends the category of "bird
> photography."
>
> Very good decisions on your part are all apparent; good idea to
> aggressively pursue the opportunity, good idea to use the 400ISO film
> w/monopod & shoulderstock, since it looks like you still needed a
> steady hand to pull this off.
>
> The greens in the grass look a little cyan on my screens... are they
> green-green on yours?

>> http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/tetraonidae/blgr02.html

Thanks for the comments, Bob.  The shoulder stock & monopod have become my
standard support system for my long lenses: good stability and mobility in a
reasonably compact package.  I was probably using a shutter speed of 1/125 or
1/60 sec for this photo.  I went as slow as 1/30 sec during this session.

I some cyan-ish geens in the shadow areas and where the grasses are in better
light they seem more green to me.  The light was tricky.  There was sunlight
filtered through trees, light from the deep blue sky, and sunlight reflected
off the decomposed granite and forest duff between the bird and myself.  In
photoshop I biased the color balance toward the bird's plumage.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com