[LRFlex] Re: Black Phoebe

  • From: Douglas Herr <telyt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2005 11:29:34 -0800 (GMT-08:00)

Robert Meier <robertmeier@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I have always heard that those Canon FD L lenses were the best there was, but
> my experience with them, restricted to the 50/1.2 L, has not shown them to
> be anything special.

The L lenses are certainly Canon's best.  Later versions of the Canon 400/2.8
are better than my old FD lens, approaching the image quality of the old
400/2.8 APO-Telyt

> I have, on the other hand, recently gotten a 180 Apo-Telyt, which I
> have been using on my SL (just put into fine shape by Sherry K.),
> and I have been getting that eye-popping detail you talk about.

And to think the current 180 APO-Elmarit-R is better - wow!!

> I don't think I will ever need a longer lens, but I have thought
> about getting the APO 2X extender to use with it.  What is your
> experience with that?

Bob, the 180 APO-Telyt I had was a loaner that I no longer have quick access
to.  I was delighted with the way it snapped into focus in the SL's viewfinder,
and then to see the results on film gave me a goofy grin.  Great lens.

http://www.wildlightphoto.com/mammals/horses/pete00.html

I now have a loaner 2x APO-Extender-R for testing with the 280 APO - but I've
never been able to try the 180 with the 2x APO.  It's supposed to be a good
combination.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com