[LRflex] Re: Black Level Comparisons and the Semi-Pro Blues

  • From: Bob Palmieri <rpalmier@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2007 01:05:54 -0500

David et al -

The featured Redwing photo is really speaking; 'specially to me
seeing as how I spent a spell of concentrated effort a few weeks ago
trying to get a cool snap of that very specimen with more limited
success.

Regarding the black slider business, I gotta tellya, you happen to
have hit on an area of high frustration for me these days...

First of all, I got seriously burned a few weeks back shooting with a
borrowed 90mm Tele-Elmarit ("fat" version) on an M.  Diffuse
backlight from a window behind the subjects caused enough flare to
be a real problem, basically bringing the shadow areas on the negs up
around Zone V or so.  'Course, I didn't see it coming, what with my
use of one of those silly rangefinder cameras (the only axe I have
which was quiet enough to shoot during a string quartet performance.)
The black slider in Photoshop was a real help.  However, I was
reminded that whenever you need to goose the contrast by any means
(that I use, anyhow) you also emphasize the film grain.

Also, I've been having other problems related to the semi-pro
digigear I use (in the form of film scanners and my 20D.)  When
dealing with picky editors & high-end output providers, a close look
at the shadow areas of my scans reveals some less-than-appealing
nastiness hiding out there.  And in the case of files from the 20D
there's a lot more color noise & banding than I feel is acceptable.
even at ISO 200 in files with pretty ideal histograms.  Once again,
the black slider is sometimes the brutal but effective solution
(slightly more finesse is possible with careful tweakage at the low
end of the transfer curve.)

I think it's time for me to look into capture and scanning gear that
better represents what was presented to them.  'Meantime, I guess
it's also time to get serious about researching noise-reduction
software in order to save a number of my present shots.

Bob Palmieri