[LRFlex] Re: Big Boys and Big Toys - Railway Heritage

  • From: Douglas Sharp <douglas.sharp@xxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2005 01:01:06 +0200

Thanks David,

my favourite, obviously having been there at the time, less obviously having chatted for half an hour to the smiling bloke in the picture, is

http://gallery.leica-users.org/Railway-Heritage/Black_5

The reason for his happiness was, at least for the National Railway Museum in York, unfortunately a sad one.
The Black 5 shining so beautifully in the background had just been fired up to stand in for the "Flying Scotsman" on a charter trip from York-Scarborough. The "Scotsman" had developed dangerous cracks in the firebox and was laid up for quite a while for repairs.

The broad smile shows the joy of a part time (volunteer) engine driver who has heard that he will be allowed to take his locomotive on a long mainline trip to York, a trip of 100 miles or more, quite a change from 18 miles back and forth every day from Grosmont to Pickering, even though the landscape is stunning.

I'm hoping to capture the repaired "Flying Scotsman" some time in July or August, if the engine doesn't break down again.
TFL
cheers
Douglas

David Young wrote:
Hi Douglas!

Heck! Like you, I LIKE steam!  So I'd keep 'em all!

However, I do like "Rain at Grosmont" and 'Tea Break #2" over the others.

After all, if you're going to shoot steam, stuff.... let's have steam!  I think it gives
both photos a nice "atmosphere" that conveys the sense of steam power.  The
others, are just nice photos of trains.

Thanks for sharing!

David.

On 18/06/2005 at 7:42 PM Douglas Sharp wrote:

Hello all,
just uploaded some scans of some recent and not so recent railway pictures.Shiny classic British steam locomotives and grubby tea-drinkers in oily overalls.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/Railway-Heritage

Please let me know which ones to throw out, 'cos there are more on the way.

Hope you enjoy them
cheers
Douglas