[LRflex] Re: Best R lenses?

  • From: "Neil Gould" <neil@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Jan 2010 15:54:41 -0500

Hi all,

> Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2009 18:24:39 +0100
> From: Michiel Fokkema <michiel.fokkema@xxxxxxxxx>
>
> Actually I'd stay away from the 28-70. It really is not up
to Leica
> standards. Quite soft and a lot of distortion on the wide
end.
> The 35-70/4 is much better. If you really need 28mm buy a
prime and
> combine it with the 35-70.
> Cheers,
>
> Michiel Fokkema

I have heard this kind of comment before, but it isn't
consistent with my experience. I bought the Leica
Vario-Elmar-R 3,5-4,5  28-70 (ROM) as the first lens with my
R5. Soon after, I bought the 100 2.8 APO and 180 2.8 to fill
out the set. I don't find images from the zoom to be "quite
soft", and the bokeh is decent, too. It is not as sharp as
the 100 APO, but then, that is an outstanding lens in the
Leica line. One has to be careful positioning many wide
angle lenses in order not to get some distortion, and the
28-70 is no different. But, when you need 28mm, 35mm won't
do, and the convenience of "dialing it in" may reasonably
offset carrying another lens. IMO, the best thing about the
28-70 is that the general impression about it keeps the
prices low!  ;-)

Happy New Year to all!

Neil