[LRFlex] Re: Berlin 28.10.2004 - New Pictures

  • From: "Aram Langhans" <leica_r8@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2004 05:50:31 -0700

I have very rarely had the R8 multi-pattern meter give me wrong info. In those cases where I suspect a real problem (strong backlight or very dark background occupying over 70% of view) I switch to spot, but I am very pleased with the R8 metering. I have never used any other multi-patterned camera for comparison, however. I shoot exclusively slides, so any problems would be quite apparant.

Aram

From: NATSTEK@xxxxxxx
To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [LRFlex] Re: Berlin 28.10.2004 - New Pictures
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 21:31:22 EDT

Doug,

I've been using my Digilux 1 a lot lately and I always use spot focusing and,
for the most part, either center weighted, or spot metering. I have
experimented with the multi-pattern metering in the camera, but it leaves a lot to be
desired, just like the first matrix metering pattern in Nikons. The original
"AMP" metering on the FA.

The only cameras that I trust multi-pattern metering on are canon EOS's and
the "F" series AF Nikons, such as F4, F5, F100's.

As far as the focusing, I'd use the LCD and focus on the water reflection of
the church.

I've done similar shots with the outside, rearview side miror on my BMW, to
get a rear view of a subject, that one requires spot focus, spot metering and A
LOT OF DUMB LUCK to successfully pull it off.

Art