[LRflex] Re: Barrels...

  • From: David Young <telyt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 07:35:08 -0700

I showed:

http://www3.telus.net/~telyt/Barrels.htm

and Bob wrote:

Cool!  Good position stakeout.

to which Xavier added:

You took some risks as the lens is not a telephoto, you were close...

Good Mornin', Bob & Xavier!

I was, indeed, close!

It would have qualified as dangerously close, except for the fact that I was very well protected, for I had crawled into the Chutes used to release the steers for Bull riding. But as horses ridden by the aggressive riders turned their corners, I got sprayed with clumps of dirt!

The only other short lens I had was a 50mm Summicron (effectively an 80mm) and that would have been much too strong! So I had to use Canon's w/a, which is a very nice lens. However, the barrel was about 3 meters (10 ft) from me, and so this image is cropped substantially.

Because it was a kids rodeo, many of the riders missed their mark, sailing right past me, and out of range, before getting turned around an coming back into my view! Still others were so slow that although I could get the shot, it wasn't worth pressing the button. I think this girl was the most aggressive rider of the 30+ contestants. But she was well worth the wait! (I love her hair!)

Kinda makes me look forward to the Pro Rodeo, coming to Merritt (a half hour drive away) in early September!

Thanks for looking. :-)