[LRflex] At Tunkwa, today.

  • From: David Young <telyt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 19:54:05 -0700

All:

Today was my first chance to get out to Tunkwa Lake with my new LeiCanon 30D.

So, there I was, minding my own business, sitting peacefully on the
shore and trying to get a decent shot of some Red Winged Black Birds
(no luck); when suddenly there was a huge splash, just behind me!

I turned around to see a huge Osprey, struggling to get airborne
after missing a shot at his lunch. Because I was facing the wrong
way, there was no hope of getting him in/near the water, but he made
a couple of circles, and then landed on a nearby Pine tree, to rest
and fluff/dry his feathers.

You'll notice the tree is turning red.. an abnormal colour for an
evergreen.  The red is because the tree is dying, after an invasion
of the Mountain Pine Beetles ... the first visible evidence of Global
Warming (or so they tell us).  Normally, these beetles are kept in
check by the cold winters... but we haven't had any really cold
winters for many years now, and the beetles are thriving.    It is
estimated that by 2011, some 80% of all the pine trees in BC will be
dead.  Germany may have the "Black Forest", but we will have the "Red Forest"!

To see him, point your browser at http://www3.telus.net/~telyt/ and
then click on "Featured Photo".

Sorry his image is not a bit bigger, but he was a LONG way away, and
this is about 50% of the frame.  Still, it looks great as an 8x12" print!

Comments, flames, what-have-you, welcomed, as always.

Thanks for looking.