[LRFlex] Re: Art Nouveau Glass - Lighting Question

  • From: Jim Hemenway <jim@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2005 19:50:29 -0400

Douglas:

Well done.

Jim

Douglas M. Sharp wrote:

Hello all,
I've set up the "high-tech studio" again to photograph some details of what we think must be a French Art Nouveau/Art Deco bowl. My wife's mother always said it was Rene Lalique, but as it is unsigned we have no idea who made it.

Question 1) Any collectors out there who know its provenance?
Question 2) which lighting set-up is most effective for your tastes?

http://gallery.leica-users.org/New-Old-Pictures/MG_1492_edited_2
The "Studio"

http://gallery.leica-users.org/New-Old-Pictures/Lalique_bowl
Lalique style bowl is lit from below and normal room lighting obliquely from above daylight from top left.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/New-Old-Pictures/MG_1489_edited_2
Lit from below, daylight reflected from bottom right, tungsten from back right via mirror.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/New-Old-Pictures/MG_1487_edited_3
as above with more tungsten reflected from mirror , see studio set up.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/New-Old-Pictures/MG_1486_edited_4
Less tungsten, more daylight, right fish highlighted with a maglite
from front right.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/New-Old-Pictures/MG_1485_edited_3
as above but maglite placed in the bowl at the right.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/New-Old-Pictures/MG_1483_edited_4
as before, maglite replaced by a broader beamed flahlight, the black background is the body of the flashlight.

NO colour manipulation during processing , only sharpness and contrast
enhanced.

Hope you like them
cheers
Douglas