[LRflex] Re: Aram attempts people pictures - teaparty

  • From: Aram Langhans <leica_r8@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leica reflex freelists <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 07:32:05 -0800

Thanks, Ted.  Everybody was so animated and the light was so low that even at
ISO 800 I had a lot of blury ones shot at about 1/20 second, but I had enough
keepers it was fun to look at the shots.  Your advice is always welcome and
will be practiced.

Aram

From: tedgrant@xxxxxxxxx: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: [LRflex] Re: Aram
attempts people pictures - teapartyDate: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 22:29:23 -0800

Aram Langhans showed & said:
Subject: [Leica] Aram attempts people pictures - tea party

>>>Out of my territory, but I think these turned out pretty good.  When we
>>>visit my father-in-law, we always go see one of his neighbors.  Martha grew
>>>up in Germany during WWII and has many interesting stories to tell.  We sit
>>>around the table with friends and have tea and home made cookies.  She is
>>>fond of rum in her tea.  This trip was no exception.  A grand time was had
>>>by all.  Might have one more before we leave Thursday.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Aram/jan09/tp/

Hi Aram,
By the look of the “Happy Tea Party” J I’d certainly have another if there’s
time! J
A point or two:
The best in the series are those where people are engaged in doing something or
otherwise involved in conversation.
Obviously a tough situation in avoiding “look at the birdie” type photos, we
all shoot them. It’s no big deal, in this case you illustrate both.
“Good people element photos” when they are involved and not looking at the
photog. And some looking right into lens.
Anytime we’re photographing people usually the best moments happen when
subjects are doing something, engaged in conversation or using hands as they
speak. This adds the visual aspect of the conversation if the hands are
emphasizing a point.
As you have here, the lady and her hands clenched in explanation. Nice photo
moment by the way.
I mean it’s highly unlikely one is going to shoot Pulitzer prize winning
pictures at a table of a half dozen folks enjoying a nice spot of tea with a
touch of Rum! HOWEVER, you never know!! J Nice touch the rum by the way! J J J
Very simple thing to keep in mind.
When the folks are looking every place but you with camera, the chances are you
will be shooting a better photo than one when a person is looking at you. But
some of the best portraits are when the subject is engaged in conversation but
being asked a question and the mind is in action because they’re listening.
Remember, we,  “HEAR WITH OUR EARS….. BUT WE LISTEN WITH OUR EYES!”  And at
that moment the eyes are alive because the mind is in action absorbing what’s
being heard.

A nice shoot even if you feel you’re out of your  main topic of picture taking.
Cheers,
ted

No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG -
http://www.avg.comVersion: 8.0.176 / Virus Database: 270.10.6/1891 - Release
Date: 1/13/2009 8:17 AM
Windows Live™: Keep your life in sync.
http://windowslive.com/howitworks?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_t1_allup_howitworks_012009