[LRFlex] Re: Answer (of sorts) to Series Filter question

  • From: nhcharch@xxxxxxxxxxxx (Noel Charchuk)
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2004 10:56:24 -0400

The KSFARSA or Kodak Series Filter Adapter Ring Acquisition Syndrome has struck
me as well, but I only have about 20 or so. I have a small round leather lens
case that I store my Series filters in. I then stick the appropriate adapter
with the vintage camera it fits. That way, when I decide to take my old camera
out for a roll of B&W shooting,  just throw the Series filter case with the
green, yellow, orange, red, and close up adapters in the bag. I found most of
the filters and adpaters in junk bins at local camera stores, and can cover
most any lens I have on older cameras now. I even have a polarizing filter in
Series, it comes with a small viewer attached to the handle which allows you to
see the effect of polarization in order to set the filter in the right position
for the desired effect on film.
as an aside, the old Kodak Reference Book I got that info from is a wealth of
photographic information, with sections on lenses, films, filters, close up,
developing etc. Of course a lot of the film and chemicals discussed are no
longer available, but the techniques are just a s valid today as they were then.

Which raises another question. How many of this lists members collect old
photography manuals, books and the other detritia that comes from our hobby?
I have a Leica manual for all my Leicas, from the IIIa, the M3, M4-2, R3, R4,
and R6. I noticed a real progression (or possibly more aptly, regression) in
the information available. The IIIa manual is essentially a manual of
photography, with information about the camera included. By tyhe time the M4-2
rolled out the  manual is basically a functions and controls of the model, with
a bunch of available accessories. The R manuals are a little more useful, but
that is mostly due to the meters, not the otjher controls as much.

An interesting sideline of camera collecting and use, I think. Unfortunately, I
usually stumble across an old manual somewhere, for cheap, buy it, and then
decide I have to buy the camera. That is how I got started with Leica.
Noel C
NATSTEK@xxxxxxx wrote:

>Noel,
>
>Thanks for the information.
>
>The explanation from Kodak makes sense, a one size fits all, or rather
>nothing at all, without one of several adapters.
>
>In their infinite wisdom, Kodak created an adapter nightmare. You save money
>on filters, but have a bagfull of adapters. That was a great marketing tool
>for the sales of adapters!!
>
>I know this, because I've probably acquired over a hundred various "rings"
>over the last 40+ years.
>
>Art Tafil

Switch to Netscape Internet Service.

Netscape. Just the Net You Need.