[LRFlex] Re: Another dumb question

  • From: "Douglas M. Sharp" <DouglasMSharp@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 12:16:41 +0200

I have a little trick for testing batteries under load. Using a 3V motor salvaged from a model car. If the1.5V battery will set it running
then it's still good, if it won't run at all the battery is dead, if it runs after you turn the shaft to get it started, then there's just enough power
to make you think about new batteries. Very un-technical but it seems to work.
Douglas (now prepared to be shot down in flames by all you electronics buffs :-) )

Neil Gould schrieb:

Hi David,

From: David Young <dnr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

All:

My Winder-R8 was dead. New batteries will likely revive it.

However, when I check the old ones with a meter, one is 1.9v and the
other 2.07v. That's still 4 volts of life left in a 6 volt pair. Is

this

normal?

Insights appreciated.

The question is the minimum working voltage for the winder. If the winder
requires a minimum of 4.0 volts to operate, then having only 3.9 volts
would = "dead", and your behavior would be quite normal. Also keep in mind
that the voltage of the batteries will drop even further under load, and
that the real culprit is probably the amperage required to run the motor.
Go ahead and replace them!

Regards,

Neil Gould

   www.horizon.bc.ca/~dnr/lrflex.htm