[LRflex] Re: Another Question....Another annoying

  • From: "Neil Gould" <neil@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2006 08:47:28 -0600

Recently, you wrote:

> From: David Young <telyt@xxxxxxxxx>
>
> Neil wrote:
>
>>> From: David Young <telyt@xxxxxxxxx>
>>>
>>> [...]  The ONLY exceptions, so far, are the DMR
>>> and the M8.
>>
>> Almost so...
>>
>> The first cameras that I know of not to use AA filters were the
>> Kodak 14mp full-frame sensor models.
>
> As I understand it, the 14mp Kodak had a user=20
> removable AA filter, did it not?  Not sure about=20
> that.   In any event, as to the first, I stand=20
> corrected.

The later 14n models added the user-removable AA filter in response to the
reaction to their original release.

>> However, according to Kodak's website, as of May 13, 2005
>> Kodak has discontinued production of the KODAK=20
>> PROFESSIONAL DCS Pro SLR/n and DCS Pro SLR/c=20
>> Digital Camera models. Camera sales will=20
>> continue until current stocks are exhausted.

[...]

> You might be right about two camps and unbalanced=20
> discussions.  I have not followed such=20
> discussions and have spoken only from my own=20
> experience.  Still, I have done a fair number of=20
> architectural shots with the DMR and not found=20
> any problems with Moire patterns.

That is interesting. The typical Bayer-pattern sensor cameras have
problems with brick walls and such. If the DMR handles those shots without
Moire, that should be a major point of interest to their marketing
department.

> Thanks for the update on the 14n.

Credit where due... you provided the update, and I thank you for it!

Neil