[LRflex] Re: Another Question....Another annoying

  • From: David Young <telyt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 07:44:36 -0800

Neil wrote:

> > From: David Young <telyt@xxxxxxxxx>
> >
> > The very smallest, low resolution sensors generally do not use
> > low-pass (AA) filters as they are not capable of  building a moire
> > pattern.  That being said, every sub-Medium Format sensor of
> > sufficient size to be affected by the Moire problem has a low pass
> > filter in front of it. This means nearly all of them. No matter where
> > made, or by whom.  The ONLY exceptions, so far, are the DMR and the
> > M8.
>
>Almost so...
>
>The first cameras that I know of not to use AA filters were the Kodak 14mp
>full-frame sensor models.

As I understand it, the 14mp Kodak had a user=20
removable AA filter, did it not?  Not sure about=20
that.   In any event, as to the first, I stand=20
corrected.  However, according to Kodak's website, as of May 13, 2005

>Kodak has discontinued production of the KODAK=20
>PROFESSIONAL DCS Pro SLR/n and DCS Pro SLR/c=20
>Digital Camera models. Camera sales will=20
>continue until current stocks are exhausted.

Thus, I believe I am still right in saying that=20
the M8 and DMR are the only available sub-MF=20
cameras without a low-pass filter.

>Those got roundly trashed by the "digi-camerati"
>who felt that Moir=E9 was a problem to be avoided at all costs. To this=
 day,
>photographers appear to fall into two camps on this issue, and most of the
>discussions that I see regarding Moir=E9 are rather unbalanced.

You might be right about two camps and unbalanced=20
discussions.  I have not followed such=20
discussions and have spoken only from my own=20
experience.  Still, I have done a fair number of=20
architectural shots with the DMR and not found=20
any problems with Moire patterns.

Thanks for the update on the 14n.