[LRflex] Re: Angle of View

  • From: "wildlightphoto@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wildlightphoto@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 17:58:53 -0500

Frank Filippone <red735i@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> What is this?  I do understand angle of view, but AV-Something?    Is
> Something = Degrees?  So AV-5 is angle of view of 5 degrees?

Yup.

> OK, so we convince the world to insist on angle of view,  Then we need to
go
> back and tell them what the angle of view was on their film cameras.......

we don't have to convince anyone, it's a nomenclature we can use and if it
makes sense to anyone else they might start using it too.

> It would have been a lot smarter, but I think it is too late already......
> the flywheel is already in motion.......

you may be right, we won't know for certain unless we give it a try.

For a 35mm film camera:

35mm lens = AV-64
50mm lens = AV-45
60mm lens = AV-40
80mm lens = AV-29
90mm lens = AV-27
100mm lens = AV-22.5
180mm lens = AV-14
200mm lens = AV-12.5
250mm lens = AV-10
280mm lens = AV-8.8
400mm lens = AV-6
560mm lens = AV-4.4

For a smaller format, divide the above AV values by the crop factor, i.e.,
for the 60mm Macro-Elmarit-R on the DMR the AV is 40/1.37 = about 29

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com