[LRflex] Re: An old lens with radioactive coating

  • From: Aram Langhans <leica_r8@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2018 10:09:10 -0800

And Thorium is an alpha emitter, so I would guess the chips are pretty well protected as a few sheets of paper will block most alpha particles.  The chips are embedded somewhere deeper in the camera body where they can probably hide from alpha particles.

Aram

On 12/30/2018 9:19 AM, Frank Filippone wrote:

the effects of radioactivity on integrated circuits is a known issue.  However it is a VERY long term effect.  I would think the memory chips would be affected first.  Fixed logic chips would be the most stable.

Another thing to worry about for DIgital Cameras.

Frank Filippone

From : Xavier F. BILLE
mail : hot_billexf@xxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:hot_billexf@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Maisons Alfort - France