[LRflex] An ice-cold stroll around Bremen last Sunday

  • From: Douglas Sharp <douglas.sharp@xxxxxx>
  • To: Leica Users Group <lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, LEG <leica@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 19:40:57 +0100

Sunday we were invited to a New Year reception staged by the Bremen
Journalists Club and the Merchants Guild of 1801.
The walk from the station past the mill (go back one shot, and you can
see what it looks like in good weather at around the same time last year)

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/DMS/Germany/Bremen/_MG_0641.jpg.html

and the bronze pigs,

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/DMS/Germany/Bremen/_MG_0643.jpg.html

across the cathedral square,

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/DMS/Germany/Bremen/_MG_0644.jpg.html

past the town hall

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/DMS/Germany/Bremen/_MG_0647.jpg.html

and into the Schnoor, the oldest part of the city, with some wonderful shops

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/DMS/Germany/Bremen/_MG_0648.jpg.html
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/DMS/Germany/Bremen/_MG_0649.jpg.html
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/DMS/Germany/Bremen/_MG_0659.jpg.html

was ice-cold, around -20°C, and we were happy to get into the warmth of
the Club.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/DMS/Germany/Bremen/_MG_0652.jpg.html

A very entertaining show, too. Germany's leading political columunist
(Heribert Prantl) and the secretary of state of Bremen's parliament in a
radio chat with our old friend Theo Schlüter - with breaks filled very
professionally by the local amateur barbershop group "Fishermans Fresh"
(who are actually more of a madrigal choir)

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/DMS/Germany/Bremen/_MG_0656.jpg.html

Bremen is a great place, you can sit around, have a hot Grog and chat
with senators (that's what they call ministers in the city states of
Bremen, and Hamburg) and there's never a shifty-looking security bloke
to be seen.

Hamburg and Lübeck are similar, must be something to do with their
Hanseatic heritage.

Sunday was also the first time I've ever had aperture blades sticking
and Canon electronics refusing to work because of the cold.

Cheers
Douglas