[LRflex] Re: An hour ago

  • From: David Young <dsy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2015 07:04:01 -0700

Good Morning, Howard!

Interesting that you should mention catching one "one the fly". I found it
almost impossible to get the camera to focus on the hummer, during flight.
This may be due to the extremely close distance (5 to 6 feet or 1.5 to 1.6
meters) or the extremely dirty window. It could also have been from the bird's
very rapid and erratic movements. No matter what the cause, the camera would
no lock on the hummer in flight and, in most cases, the AF picked up the
flowers, not the bird.

The little gal came to rest more often than I'd expected (it was cool, in the
early morn), but most times sat with her back to me. Finally, she landed where
I could get a shot.

Even then, she was there for only a few seconds, so I count myself lucky to
have got the image. Especially since I did not even have to get out of my
chair!

As far as the fires go, we are fine, thank you, and under no immediate threat.

My rather poor shots, posted the other day, showed the Coldstream Creek fire.
This morning, the wildfire website is saying: "This fire grew quickly on
Monday, July 20, and exhibited aggressive fire behaviour. Hot, dry conditions
and strong winds challenged fire suppression efforts. Since Monday, July 20,
the fire has not grown and remains at approximately 250 hectares in size." The
20 minute evacuation alert remains in place for homes in the area, but the fire
is now considered 65% contained, and burning away from both us and the nearby
homes.

So we are fine, the air is clear and the threat is virtually nil.

Thanks, for your concern.

David.

--
David Young - Photographer
Logan Lake,BC, CANADA

Morning David,
Pretty impressive! Now let's see you catch one on the fly with that rig!! :-)
On a more serious note I hope you and Rose are safe from all the fires.
Bests
Howard

From: David Young <dsy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2015 10:47:14 -0700
Subject: [LRflex] An hour ago

I took 3 minutes from tiling my bathroom floor, to check my email. (I needed
to get off my knees!)

As I did, this little humming bird appeared at the flowers, just outside my
very dirty office window. I think it's a female Rufous Hummingbird, but I'll
leave that to the experts.

Luckily, I had the 50~200 2.8-3.5 + 1.4x on the camera (a 560mm eFL) but I
was shooting against the light.

Considering the window has not been cleaned in a year (talk about a dirty
filter!), I thought it not too bad...

http://www.furnfeather.net/Look/Hummer.html

C&C welcomed, as always.

David.