[LRflex] Re: An Erwin Puts Quote

  • From: David Simms <simmszee@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2010 20:02:27 -0700 (PDT)

Erwin Puts may be getting paid by Leica to provide his unbiased opinion
regarding their products. Personally, that's what I'd like to believe.
I'm now 63 and I've been using leicas since I was 20. I have used many of the
lenses that Erwin has reviewed and I find his comments accurate. He has not
only reviewed the resolution and contrast of various lenses but, as a user, he
has also commented accurately on less quantifiable aspects such as flare. A lot
of what he says can be deduced from the manufacturer's MTF curves but these,
too, have been corroborated by other independent sources. www.photodo.com, a
Swedish website used to publish independent MTF curves of lenses from many
manufacturers and these tests establish many Leica lenses as the best on the
market. N.B. not every Leica lens has been a hands-down winner.
Although I am also drawn into the "follow the money" argument with regard to
politics and, most disappointingly, with regard to many environmental groups, I
can't see that it applies in Erwin's case. He writes a thorough report from an
expert point of view and I think that he does his best to be as honest as
possible.

Dave, in the backwoods of BC.