[LRflex] Re: Am I nuts, or ar they?

  • From: "David Young" <dsy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "philippe.amard" <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2011 07:11:41 -0800

In a message dated 07/02/2011, philippe.amard said ...

>p- Both work much better than the previous series David

>p- In the second, and you may still have an opportunity to try this, do
>p- as Ted says, bend your knees and get the horizon  below the biker it
>p- will set them out even a little more

Good Morning, Philippe!

  It's simply too cold to kneel in the snow for several hours.  So I
normally, I carry a super light weight aluminum & cloth camping stool, on
which I can park myself for the duration.   Yesterday, I forgot and left it
at home.  You'll note the horizons on last week's shots were better, in
this regard... but then last week, I remembered my stool.

In some ways, it was, perhaps, better that I forgot it.  The piles of snow
at the edge of the track were much higher, this week, due to a considerable
snowfall - 23cm (~9") yesterday, about the same the day before. Thus, if I
stood back, as I had planned, I'd have missed the bottom half of the wheels.

Here's what I mean...

http://www.furnfeather.net/Temps/Stake_15.html

And this was taken at 60mm, as well!

Had I been kneeling (or more comfortably sitting on my stool)fully half the
Quads or bikes would have been hidden by the berm!

Next week is the last of the year.  After that, the ice gets too thin to
support the 100+ vehicles.   I'll be back, next Sunday, and will try to do
better.

Watch this space!

>p- Nice takes anyhow.

Thanks!

Dr. Ted's "swishy-pans" are a lot harder than they seem... though I suspect
they are easier, with slower subjects, such as runners.  I still think that
if the photographer stands back further, using a longer lens, the rate at
which he/she has to rotate their body to track the subject should be lower,
thus making it easier.  However, the berms of snow prevented me from
proving that, this weekend.

David Young - Photographer
Logan Lake, CANADA

Wildlife: www.furnfeather.net