[LRFlex] Re: Adventures at 32 Below...

  • From: David Young <dnr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 07:57:18 -0800

Ted Grant chided:

Now David mon ami, a small thought for a moment. If you were left un-attended for 48 hours at 32 below don't you think you might be a little slow at responding? ;-) And I'd bet my sweet bippy you may well be solid also! :-)

This, I grant. I wasn't working too well in those temperatures, either!

yer lucky you could get it off your "frozen to your hands!"

That' what gloves were invented for! Seriously, the lower corner of the back did start to get a small build-up of ice from my breath!

I mean a guy has to have some senior gear priorities! Gear first. "wimmin and whatever second!" ;-) Don't tell Rose I said that. ;-)

Oh... this one's gonna cost ya! Rose was reading over my shoulder and I couldn't stop her from seeing that! ;-)

Nikons, Hassleblad, Rollieflex and Leicas of many models get "slow" if left in this type of weather. And "dead stopped some times!"

Hmmm... back in the 60's, when I lived in the Yukon, I used to shoot my Nikon 'F' at 40 below and it functioned just fine. Mind you, I had the old, clip-on Selenium meter so no batteries were involved. It did, however, slow up at around -50 or so.

When I need to shoot, camera is out and I shoot as quickly as I can and pop the camera back inside. I definately do not wander around with everything hanging out in the breeze while looking for pictures, you only need your eyes for that.. find something, gear out, shoot, back under cover.

Ted. I know you mean well... but have you ever tried to 'pop' an R8 with 400mm/f6.8, pistol grip and shoulder stock under your parka? Especially if you're not wearing a parka?

Seriously, I know I should have warmed the gear, but circumstances dictated otherwise. I'd thought the point of my post was that despite considerable abuse, the R8 functioned very well, if not at the peak of it's performance. The proof will be in the photos... which should be back today or tomorrow. :-)

If there's anything worth while, I'll post them.

Thanks to all who responded to this true, if somewhat tongue-in-cheek, story. :)

Cheers!

David Young,     | égalité, liberté,
Victoria, CANADA | fraternité et Beaujolais.

Personal Web-site at:
        http://www.horizon.bc.ca/~dnr
Leica Reflex Forum web-page:
        http://www.horizon.bc.ca/~dnr/lrflex.htm