[LRFlex] Adventures at 32 Below...

  • From: David Young <dnr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 18:37:58 -0800

Hi All!

I've been a way for a couple of weeks, doing the annual Christmas gift delivery run to northern Alberta.

Along the way, I had the chance to grab some shots of Grosbeaks, Magpies, Chickadees and some other, unrecognized birds who had congregated in a tree near the home of a lady we were visiting. The distance and angles were good, so I grabbed my R8 with the 400/f6.8 and went to it.

Now, we'd been travelling - so the camera case had been in car for some 48 hours - and it was a brisk 32 below (Celsius). The lens refused to focus! The follow-focus rails were frozen solid. :(

For it's part, the R8 seemed to work, but the viewfinder display took several seconds to come on, and several more before the numbers were legible! Amazingly, the camera back LCD display (such displays often give trouble in low temps) ran just fine.

I gave up on things for a couple of hours. Later, in "the heat of the day" (-27C) I tried again. This time, the lens focused cleanly, though a little slowly. The camera still had trouble with it's displays but the camera appeared to work perfectly, though I won't know this for sure until the film comes back... and my processors developing machine has 'gone south', so nothing will be ready until Thursday, at best. :(

The Winder had some trouble, winding very slowly... but I think that was more due to cold batteries than anytime else.

Has anybody else had experience with any brand of camera at these temperatures? Problems? Triumphs? Now, I'm curious!

Thanks.  And it's good to be home. :)

David Young,     | égalité, liberté,
Victoria, CANADA | fraternité et Beaujolais.

Personal Web-site at:
        http://www.horizon.bc.ca/~dnr
Leica Reflex Forum web-page:
        http://www.horizon.bc.ca/~dnr/lrflex.htm